Brussels to Bratislava

Monday 28th October 2019

I was back on the streets of Brussels early the next morning. There were quite a few people about for that time of day and it was still dark. Midi station wasn't too busy though. There was time for a wander around before finding my platform.

06:25 Brussels Midi to Frankfurt (Main) Hbf 09:31

There was plenty of seats available, but most were reserved. I had time to select one that was reserved for later in the journey before we left. A member of DB staff distributed paper copies of the timetable with all the connections from the various stations and their platforms, so that gave me something to read.

We were a few minutes late leaving. A few more passengers boarded at Brussels Nord, but there were still plenty of empty seats. Daylight started to emerge as we approached Liege. I made my way to the Bordrestaurant, ordered a breakfast and sat and watched the rush hour. The train seemed fairly full with commuters by the time we left Aachen. Some came into the restaurant to take the final few free seats and ordered a coffee to last them to Koln. It was still busy as we headed on to Frankfurt. First it was the Flughafen and then Hbf. We were about 15 minutes late, but thanks to the paper timetable with connections, I knew which platform to head for.


Above is the ICE train I came in on and below is the ICE train I left on.


09:54 Frankfurt (Main) Hbf to Nurnberg Hbf 11:59

This departure was a couple of minutes late too, but I had made my first connection and had a seat. Another smooth ICE train raced towards Wurzburg. As we approached, the south facing vineyards lined the hill. That was the only stop and I kept my seat all the way to a prompt arrival in Nuremberg. Here is a better picture of the same train.


I had a bit of time for a wander. It is quite a large station with quite a few fast food options, but the outside is quite impressive.


I did opt for a bratwurst of some sort before heading for one of the platforms at far end. The Cheb train was connected to a train for Hof. The signs showed the Cheb section to be at the rear, but I wasn't sure which way it was going as it was on a through platform. I asked a member of staff and it seemed like everybody else had to ask as well.

12:37 Nurnberg Hbf to Cheb 14:22

The regional train had the more local feel that you would expect. We made our way into the hills and after the Hof and Cheb sections separated, we went on to a single track line. Some of the stations were quite small. We followed some smaller river valleys and through several small tunnels. Unsurprisingly, it was a more intimate feeling as we saw life in the hills between Germany and the Czech Republic.

We arrived at the end of a platform in Cheb. There was construction work happening on the platforms. The station seemed quite quiet. I went over to the main building and wandered outside to have a look. Not much there either, so I joined everyone else waiting for the Prague train.

14:36 Cheb to Praha hl.n. 17:19

There were very few unreserved seats. I was asked to move at the next two stations before having to stand most of the way to Prague. I was starting to tire by then. I tried to get my bearings around the station as I would be returning late the next night. I was sat on the next train in plenty of time.

17:50 Praha hl.n. to Bratislava hl.st. 21:50

There were only a few spare seats. I decided it was time to visit the restaurant. I had looked at the likely menu online a few days before. I found a window seat even if it was dark outside. Some of the food was unavailable, but I opted for sirloin, sliced dumplings with a cream sauce and cranberries with a bottle of local beer. For pud it was plum cake. All with proper plates and cutlery and waiter service for £8 something. The train was busy as far as Brno, then there was room to spread out and we arrived in Bratislava on time.

I decided to walk downtime. It was a nice enough walk along a fairly busy road before turning off around some the back streets towards the accommodation. There were some nice old buildings here. I soon came across where I was supposed to be staying. The door was shut. I rang the bell, but no-one came. Some other guests told me the staff had gone for the day. I tried ringing the number I had been given for them, but then realised that my phone was not working. I had little option but to seek another hotel. I found an Ibis nearby. I was in no position to argue with the £67 cost after a long day. I still struggled to sleep despite being very tired and didn't fall asleep until the early hours.


PS. Please don't book Art Hostel Taurus.

No comments:

Post a Comment